payees and memos

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Sat Apr 9 03:07:01 EDT 2011

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 22:55:48 -0700 (PDT)
George & Rebekah Kalamoutsos <kalamoutsos at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> I'm new to gnucash and new to open source.  I'm using the Mac OS X 10
> platform.  I've used Microsoft Money, Quicken, and Simply Accounting
> and chose Gnucash because it seemed to do almost everything I needed
> without some of the clunkiness or data entry problems of the other
> programs.  If I am asking the following questions in the wrong
> forum/venue, someone please direct me elsewhere.
>
> I am accustomed to generating reports based on payee.  As far as I
> can tell (from manuals, web searches, faqs, etc) the gnucash
> "description" field is where I would record my payee (and my memos)
> and there is no way then to search a specific payee across accounts.
>  Am I missing a field or option or report already in the program?  If
> not, can I request that payees be incorporated so that they can be
> searched, totaled over a time period, and recorded separate from
> transaction memos?  If I do will someone estimate their programming
> hours so I could donate appropriately if I thought the feature was
> worth the time/money value?
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> -Rebekah
enter the payee in the Description field
from the main account tab, do a search on description
eg "walmart"
because its the usual example
In the Search Results
from "view" use "filter by"
and you can use date ranges, reconciled etc

from the resulting list now run a Account Report.

Otherwise you need to use the Business Features
and enter them as customers or vendors
the reports for these are ready-to-go in the menu
and you edit the report options to change the dates