Transaction actions

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Fri Aug 19 20:38:51 EDT 2011

Gnucash 2.4.7 and importing from Quicken 2005 for Mac on OS X 10.6.8

Just some observations about Transaction actions in Gnucash:

Importing from Quicken.

Quicken's Transaction Number field combines Gnucash's Num and Action
fields, and has a dropdown menu to either increment the transaction's
number (e.g. cheque number), or set an action (e.g. ATM, Deposit,
Transfer, etc). It would be nice if Import from QIF placed numeric
entries in Quicken's Number field into Gnucash's Num field, and
translated non-numeric Number fields into the Gnucash Action field. I've
got 5 years of transactions that I've imported from Quicken, and it
would have been nice for this to have been handled better.

No Action in Template for Scheduled Transaction.

I don't seem to be able to enter an action into the Scheduled
Transaction Template, either in the Transaction Editor, or if I create a
scheduled transaction from an existing transaction. I simply can't
select the Action field in the Template. If it's in fact not possible to
set the Action in the Template, why not? It seems to be a reasonable
thing to want to do to me.

Curious Action choices for Credit Card accounts

In my Credit Card accounts, the Action dropdown only offers ATM Deposit,
ATM Draw, Buy, Credit, Fee, Interest, Online and Sell. No clear option
for payments to the credit card (I'd use Credit for store credits for
returned goods, etc). And Sell? I'm pretty sure I can't use my credit
card to sell stuff. But maybe that's an antipodean thing. ;) Is there a
way for users to change the Action dropdowns?

--

Peter Lamb

Canberra, ACT