Question on Investments

JWatYahooGroups yhg at highlandsoft.net
Mon Aug 22 13:22:04 EDT 2011

Folks -

I've been quite happy with GnuCash for my personal banking needs, and am
now investigating it's use for my stock and mutual fund investments. I've
read through the guide several times, and played with test data some, but
don't see an answer to a couple of questions I have:

Question 1:
I do not buy or sell stock or fund shares very often, but when I do, I
often "buy more" or "sell some" of what I already have, so I'd like to keep
track of each "lot" purchased and its price so that when sold the capital
gains tax can be calculated.  For occasional transactions, I suppose I can
keep separate stock accounts for each purchase (100 shares in "IBM-2010,
and 100 shares in "IBM-2011" ).  But is there a better way using just one
"IBM" stock account?

Question 2:
What about mutual fund reinvestments?  Here, there is a small but separate
purchase (at a different price) of a fund's shares each month. I have
several such funds, for several years history ... separate accounts for
each lot surely will not be convenient!

Perhaps I'm missing something on how (or if) GnuCash can keep track of
separate purchase dates/prices for a single commodity?

Thanks in advance,

Jim W