GC 2.4 windows7 aqbanking issue

Sarastro gnu.papageno at xoxy.net
Tue Aug 23 12:19:32 EDT 2011

I had abandoned hope of getting this to work but your contributions and
suggestions rekindled by interest.  Here is my setup, step by step.  This
configuration (as well as any configuration I have tried) results in GnuCash
crashing when attempting to download account balance or transaction history.

Ubuntu 11.04
Gnucash 2.4.2
Aqbanking 5.0.2-2
Gwenhywfar 4.0.3
No broken packages on system.

American Express downloads normally using Aqbanking.  Online Banking setup
selected and the Setup Wizard started:

 1. All other accounts and users (except AMEX) have been deleted in the
wizard
 2. ¨Create User¨ is selected, OFX-DirectConnect backen checked.
 3. Bank information
      a) Name: USAA
      b) Broker ID:  blank
      c) FID:  24591
      d) ORG:  USAA
      e) Server URL:  https://service2.usaa.com/ofx/OFXServlet
 4. User information
      a) User Name:  my full name
      b) User ID:  my 7 digit USAA account number
      c) Client UID:  my 7 digit USAA account number
 5. Application Settings
      a) ID:  QWIN
      b) Version:  2000
      c) Header:  102
      d) Note:  have also previously tried QWIN/102/100
 6. Special Settings:  none selected
 7. Wizard states that User has been successfully setup.
 8. Trying to retrieve account list and entering my PIN results in the
following:

23:12:39 Sending request...

23:12:39 Connecting to server...

23:12:39 Resolving hostname "service2.usaa.com" ...

23:12:40 IP address is "167.24.20.44"

23:12:40 Connecting to "service2.usaa.com"

23:12:40 Connected to "service2.usaa.com"

23:12:42 Connected.

23:12:42 Sending message...

23:12:42 Message sent.

23:12:42 Waiting for response...

23:12:42 Waiting for response...

23:12:43 No message received

23:12:43 Network error while waiting for response

23:12:43 Operation finished, you can now close this window.

 9. The server URL appears to connect but with the network error, I assume
USAA does not support account list download and click ¨Finish¨ on the
wizard.  At this point in the wizard, account information as well as
¨account type¨ has not yet been created.
 10. ¨Create Account¨ is selected, again OFX is chosen
 11.   Account Info
      a) Account Number:  my checking account number (I have tried this with
and without leading double zeros.)
      b) Account Name:  Checking
      c) IBAN:  blank
      d) Owner Name:  my name
      e) Currency:  USD
      f) Account Type:  Checking account
 12. Bank Info
      a) Country:  US
      b) Bank Code:  314074269
      c) Bank Name:  314074269
      d) SWIFT BIC:  blank
      e) Selected user:  as complete under ¨Select User¨,  OK entered at
completion of this window.
 13. Online and GnuCash Accounts are matched and changes applied.
 14. With the checking account tab open in GnuCash,  Online Actions then Get
Balance is selected.
 15. Gnucash crashes.

Note:  Each time I check the Configuration wizard, above item 11.e (Account
Currency) has defaulted to Euro.   The pull down tab displays USD on three
different lines, I have selected each one and when I close and re open
(edit) the Account Info tab, Euro is displayed.  I am unable to make this
field keep the USD entry.

I´d be willing to try any suggested entry but at this point I am out of
ideas.