Reconciliation

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Thu Aug 25 17:06:40 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Thu, August 25, 2011 4:54 pm, Jim & Grace Flowers wrote:
> I just finished my first reconciliation using gnucash.  The instructions
> in
> the Concepts and Tutorial  Guide on this subject are very good, up to a
> point.  The instructions assume that all transactions recorded in gnucash
> within a given period will clear and appear on the bank statement.  In
> reality, this is very seldom true, at least in my experience.  This is
> made
> very clear in the statement "At the bottom of the Reconcile window there
> is
> a Difference field, which should show 0.00 when you are done reconciling."
> This assumes that if there is an amount other than zero, then a mistake
> has
> been made and needs to be corrected.  There should be some way to account
> for these outstanding transactions.

The documentation is correct.

> I don't know if this is a bug, or if someone has come up with either a
> solution or a workaround.  I can't complete my reconciling until this
> problem is resolved.

This is not a bug in the program that needs a workaround.  It's a
misunderstanding of how to use the feature.  Your problem is that you
didn't type in the correct ending balance in the reconcile dialog box.
You need to type in the ending balance that shows on your statement,
against which you are reconciling.  Yes, when GnuCash suggests an ending
balance it assumes everything cleared.  What else COULD it do?  You need
to tell it the correct ending balance and then your "difference" will be
0.

> Thanks,
>

> Jim Flowers
>
> dondiegoflores at verizon.net

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745