Problems with qfx

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 4 21:52:19 EST 2011

On Dec 4, 2011, at 9:12 PM, Marsh Feldman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie with Gnucash. After setting up my accounts, I downloaded a 3-month statement in qfx format from ING Retirement. I then go File > Import > Import OFX/QFX... and select the file. A window pops up with a label "Generic import transaction matcher." But the content of the window is just blank.
>
> I opened the downloaded qfx file in MacVim, and it seems to be legit. (I don't know the details about what's in a qfx file. But what I see is a header with about ten fields separated by colons and then a bunch of what looks like XML.)
>
> Any help would be most appreciated.
>
>    Marsh

What types of transactions are in the report? Libofx should handle stocks and mutual fund buys and sells, but I don't think it handles bonds or options. Dividends and automatic dividend reinvestment should be handled correctly. I don't know about money market funds.

Check to make sure that the contents of the <FITID> field exist and are unique. That field may also end with </FITID>, but it might not, depending on what version of ofx ING thinks they're following.

A completely empty transaction matcher window suggests that libofx sees no valid transactions, or only transactions it doesn't understand. If ING customized something too much, libofx might have gotten confused.

I think libofx ignores lines outside the <OFX> ... </OFX> tags, but you could try removing other text if it exists before and after those tags. Certainly I have imported files beginning with the header information before the <OFX> tag (the header starts with: OFXHEADER:100), but I don't think libofx processes that info.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net