Basic Accounting Concepts - what am I missing?

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Sun Jan 2 01:03:03 EST 2011

Missing? Balanced transactions, I think ("T accounts").

"Books" represent a closed view of the world that money can't go into or
come out of.

Accountants have a funny way with signs to make this all work out
("debit" and "credit") where some types of accounts are "backwards" from
what an arguably rational person might first think.

Open the books, everything is at zero.

A=0, L=0, E=0, I=0; Eq=0

Transaction 1 -- invest in the business -- 1 million from Equity into Assets

A=1mil, L=0, E=0, I=0; Eq=1mil

Transaction 2 -- 1 million of expenses -- 1 million from Assets to
Expenses (you had to pay for them from somewhere)

A=0, L=0, E=1mil, I=0; Eq=1mil