equity fund accounts

Marilyn Graves Kimple mgkimple at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 10:55:24 EST 2011

I have limited experience with double entry bookkeeping. My current accounting program has not been upgraded for Mac OSX 10.6 and I am having to switch. My old program allowed me to designate an equity account as a "fund", meaning I can make deposits or withdrawals and roll over funds from month to month, unlike income and expenses.

For example, at the end of the month I can debit any 'profits' to an expense account ("accruals"-- I may be misusing the term) and divide the credit among several equity accounts I have set up. I can also deposit a check in a bank account and credit it directly to an equity account.

Could I do this in gnucash, and what would I need to do to set it up?

Thanks,
mgk