Disable editing of transactions, is it possible?

Jeff Kletsky gnucash at allycomm.com
Tue Jan 18 14:55:32 EST 2011

Rather than beating ourselves against the potential "stupidity" of
government regulations, perhaps considering it as a "useful feature" and
coming up with some requirements would be productive. One of the things
I *hated* about Quick-whatever was that you could totally screw things
up unintentionally. I'd welcome a feature that "locked down"
transactions that I had, for example, marked as "cleared" or
"reconciled" one or more constituent splits.

What data would need to be locked from UI editing?

My first stab would be:
* Date of transaction
* For each split
   - amount of split
   - target account
* Number of splits

This would allow notes and descriptions to be updated, but not the core
financial data

When would the UI lock need to be applied?

On first entry seems like the most conservative, but potentially very,
very annoying ("Oh &^%$&, I didn't mean to click there and now that
entry is locked.") When one or more constituent splits were marked as
"cleared" or "reconciled" seems like a natural point for me, but may not
meet the requirements of the tax codes or GAAP of the jurisdictions.

An interpretation on the applicable Swedish and German codes would be
most helpful for answering both of these.