aqbanking 5

Paul Abrahams abrahams at acm.org
Tue Jan 25 16:21:12 EST 2011

On Tuesday, January 25, 2011 03:02:03 pm John Ralls wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2011, at 11:11 AM, Paul Abrahams wrote:
> > How can I obtain aqbanking 5?  In Kubuntu 10.10 Meerkat, aqbanking is at
> > level 4.2.4.
>
> You can download it from Martin's website, www.aquamaniac.de, but the last
> I checked Gnucash does not yet work with it.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Good news! I've succeeded in building, installing, and running aqbanking V5!!!
It wasn't entirely straightforward, though.   For the sake of the audience,
here's what you need to do to get gnucash and aqbanking working under Kubuntu
10.10:

1. Go to the Download page of Martin's website:

http://www2.aquamaniac.de/sites/download/packages.php

and download the latest versions of aqbanking and gwenhyfar.

2. Using Synaptic or some other package manager, remove all existing versions
of all the various aqbanking and gwenhywfar packages.  This might be overkill;
I actually removed only those that caused complaints in the later steps of the
installation.  Someone please speak up if this is inadvisable.

3. Unpack the gwenhyfar  files from their downloaded location:

   tar -xzf gwenhywfar-4.0.3

4. Go to the gwenhywfar directory and do:
      ./configure
     make
    make install
     checkinstall make makeinstall
The last two steps have to be done in superuser mode.  The last step will
produce a .deb package that you can reuse, e.g., on another computer.
,
5. Similarly, build and install aqbanking.

6. Remove your existing installation of gnucash and similarly rebuild gnucash.
(You probably don't want to remove the documentation, though.) The
configuration step is:

     ./configure --enable-aqbanking --enable-ofx

This step is necessary to integrate version 5 into gnucash.

To check out that everything works, go back into gnucash and do the online
banking setup.  You'll see right off that things are different there.   Finally,
go to one of your bank accounts and make sure that you can download the
balance.

Let me emphasize that I have no special knowledge of all this software and am
not part of the implementation team.  If I've gotten anything wrong, I hope
someone will correct me.  But the bottom line is that it's possible to install
aqbanking 5 into gnucash because I just did it.

My thanks to all who helped me get this far.  I hope I've repaid at least a
part of my debt to the gnucash community by writing this post.