Updating share price

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 25 23:44:38 EDT 2011

On 7/25/2011 5:37 AM, mark.gillis at ubs.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I think like many of your subscribers, I'm an ex-Quicken GnuCash newbie. I've got everything up and running (GnuCash 2.4.5 on Windows 7, MySQL backend) and am coming to terms with most of the new concepts, but there's one now that I cannot sort and that doesn't seem to operate as the manual suggests. Couldn't find it in FAQ either. Any help or advice appreciated.
>
> I have a number of accounts set up in Investments to represent Pension Funds and ISAs. Both are composed of shares which appear as subaccounts beneath these accounts, e.g.
>
> Investments
>         >Invesco
>                 >European Equity        (Security EEA)
>         >Pensions
>                 >Skandia Deposit        (Security Sk D)
>
> I have an initial value set for each security and want to add some of the historical values. I go to Price Editor and find a list (once I've expanded it out a couple of times) that contains nothing but GBP to Euro conversions. So I add a price, choosing the Security from the drop down list. This seems to work as the Total (GBP) column in the Accounts display now shows a value.
>
> The problem is that
> a) the next time I go to the Price Editor, the security is not there, so I can't just update the price as I was hoping and
> b) there is no entry in the account itself (Skandia Deposit still just has the initial entry showing a transfer from Equity: Opening Balance. I was expecting to see an entry showing the value for the shares on the date for the Price update I'd made).
>
> Can anyone give me a pointer or two to help me out here?
>
> Thanks
> Mark Gillis
>

> UBS reserves the right to retain all messages. Messages are protected and accessed only in legally justified cases.
> Deutsch/Francais/Italiano: http://www.ubs.com/1/e/index/legalinfo2/privacy.html.

I am a user, not a developer.  In my experience I am not using MySQL, as
I think the GnuCash database structure needs to mature some more.  Have
you tried this action with an XML data file?

I have not seen your problem a in my data file. If it only happens with
a MySQL database, that would be a bug to report in Bugzilla.
As to your problem b, there are no entries in the account register.  A
security is not the same as a security account in your account list.
The security account register only shows the number of shares you own,
but not the value.  When you first set up the security account, you
associate it to a security.
 You can have more than one security account containing the same
security, in different brokerage accounts, for example.  Like a foreign
currency, there is a conversion factor to determine the value of the
security account on a given day.  The Price editor tracks the security
price, which is used in certain investment reports to show the account
values at given times.
Does that help?