problem: autocompletion of account names

Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz gnucash4 at numerixtechnology.de
Fri Jun 3 05:39:36 EDT 2011

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 10:01:37 +0200
Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

>On donderdag 2 juni 2011, Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz wrote:
>> I recently upgraded to Debian Squeeze, which upgraded GnuCash to
>> 2.2.9 r17949M. (Prior to that I was running 2.2.6 or possibly 2.2.9.)
>>
>> Since the upgrade, I noticed that autocompletion of account names is
>> not fully working:
>>
>> My separator character is ".".
>> Example: Assets.T.Bank.Current.Barclays
>> (Assets.T.Bank.Current all 4 accounts are place holders)
>>
>> Previously, I would type
>> A -> Assets
>> .
>> T -> Assets.T
>> .
>> B -> Assets.T.Bank
>> .
>> C -> Assets.T.Bank.Current
>> .
>> B -> Assets.T.Bank.Current.Barclays (1st a/c under Current)
>>
>> With the new version, autocomplation works for a couple of
>> separators, then it jumps to the first account that fits and
>> interprets the "." as part of the account name:
>>
>> A -> Assets
>> .
>> T -> T
>> .
>> B -> Bank
>> . -> Assets.T.Bank.Current.Barclays.
>>

>> Note the "." added after "Barlays".
>>

>> This sounds a bit similar to :
>> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/Recent-problem-typing-separator-char-i
>> gnored-td1567990.html
>>

>> Has this issue been resolved? It is really annoying when you have
>> loads of deeply nested accounts.
>
>I'm not sure. I have seen this on occasion as well in the past both on
>Mandriva and on Fedora. Recently a bug got fixed [1] that I think may
>have been the cause of this problem, but that bug got fixed on 2.4.6.
>So to test it, you will have to upgrade to a more recent version.
>
>Geert
>
>[1] refer to these changesets:
>http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/20689 (trunk)
>http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/20697 (2.4)

Hello Geert,
I have just tested my GnuCash file on a different PC, also running
Debian Squeeze, but a backport of GnuCash 2.4.4 (2.4.5 is the latest
greatest Debian backport). The problem is still there.

I tried to go back to 2.2.6 but it dies when opening my file. Was there
a change to the file structure?

--

Best Regards,
Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz