Business-feature questions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 3 19:37:43 EDT 2011

Mike,

Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> writes:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>>Hi,

>>>I guess this can't be done then? I'll have to revert to manual
>>>spreadsheets if that's the case, which will be a shame.
>>>

>>The former should be possible in the Customer Report.  Have you tried
>>that?  The latter is not currently possible -- there is no way for one
>>customer to pay "on behalf of" another customer.
>>

> While I don't  use the "customer" features I'm not that sure an
> adjustment of this sort would be impossible. Let's try asking a couple
> questions.

The fact that you don't use the customer features is exactly why you are
asking these questions, and why they don't apply.  The business
transactions are not "regular" transactions.  They contain additional
metadata which is required for the business referential integrity (and
reporting).

So you cannot just "enter a transaction", you have to use the business
interfaces, which limits what kinds of transactions you can create.

> 1) If the first customer (the one who will be paying on behalf of the
> other) asked for a portion of his/her excess balance be refunded, is
> this possible? What would the transaction look like? (what is the
> other account in this case -- presumably checking as you cut this
> customer a refund check)

In this particular case the best way would be to create an invoice for
all the outstanding balance but instead of using Income:Sales use
Assets:Cash.  It's kinda a hack, but it'll work.

> 2) If the second customer (the one on whose behalf the payment will be
> made) were to be paying normally what would that transaction look
> like? (again, what is the other account -- presumably also checking on
> the opposite side from the first question as you deposit a check from
> the customer).

"What it looks like" is kinda irrelevant.  It's just a basic transaction
from A/R -> Checking, but it's the ancillary data that's important.  It
would require using the Business -> Customer -> Process Payment
interface to apply the payment.

> 3) You can't construct a transaction that does this? (those two
> entries to checking cancel  each other out)

No, you cannot, without using a third account.  You COULD create an
Invoice for customer 1 (the one paying for customer 2)..  But instead of
Income you use a suspense account.  Then you can Process Payment, but
instead of A/R -> Checking you would use A/R -> Suspense.