Anyone using any phone apps to record expenses for gnucash?

Mike Leone turgon at mike-leone.com
Sun Jun 19 13:36:53 EDT 2011

On 6/19/2011 12:45 PM, Lovius wrote:
> The last mobile thing I used was an Apple Newton I and that put me off
> using small gadgets for a while but I start to get itchy fingers again.
> I have been using receipts and a little note book to record personal
> expenses at the moment, and then manually enter them in Gnucash.
>
> Has anyone used a phone app to record details which can be uploaded to
> Gnucash?
> Or what?

There are many apps on the various mobile platforms to record expenses.
Depends on what platform (Iphone, Andorid, BlackBerry) you are on. I
know folks who swear by Mint, for example.

Me, I just send myself an email every time I spend any cash, or a
summary email at the end of the day. Then once a week or so, I enter a
summary transaction of all the cash I've spent, using the emails as
reference (the equivalent of your little notebook). Other spending (such
as debit card spending, or credit cards) gets imported into GNUCash from
my bank via an OFX download every week or so.

This way works for me. In fact, recently I've started using my debit
card even more, so that I don't have to remember what cash I've spent
for the day. So instead of paying cash for a drink at lunch, I will use
my debit card. That way I always have a record of what I've spent, and
where, and which will then be imported into GNUCash.