How do I manually create/edit a preferences file.

Graham grahamtiberius at gmail.com
Sun Jun 26 12:26:30 EDT 2011

Hello,
I am running GNUCash v2.4.6 on WindowsXP/Pro-SP3. I am having the problem
that GNUCash can not save my preferences so I am looking for a way to
manually create or edit a file but can not fnd a comprehensive list/guide.

The preferences in question are the ones found in "Edit > Preferences" and
also the startup prefs (i.e. Disable Tip of the Day, don't ask to start a
new set of books, open the previous set of books, etc).

I tracked the problem down to my Windows username, which is "Graham(User)".
The parentheses cause GNUCash to not always be able to read/write the files
in my home directory. Changing the Windows username does not change the home
directory name. Creating a new user just for GNUCash did not solve the
problem but wouldn't really be a satisfactory solution anyway.

GNUCash was able to create files/folders in the home directory during
install. I'm hoping the problem only involves certain aspects of the saving
prefs process and that by manually creating/editing the files, GNUCash will
be able to read them.

GNUCash has created:
Folders:
%home%\.gconfd
%home%\.gnome2\accels
%home%\.gnome2_private
%home%\.gnucash\books
%home%\.gnucash\checks
%home%\.gnucash\translog

Files:
%home%\.gconfd\saved_state
%home%\.gnucash\accelerator-map
%home%\.gnucash\expressions-2.0
%home%\.gnucash\stylesheets-2.0
%home%\.gnucash\books\2011_06 (June).gnucash.gcm

That last file, 2011_06 (June), is the name of my set of accounts which was
accessed (File > Open) after the program was up and running, so it seems
GNUCash can access the home directory, which gives me hope. Windows
permissions have been reset to give the "Everyone" group "Full Control". My
computer is not on a domain.

My first guess is that the settings would be in the
%home%\.gconfd\saved_state file, but the file only contains 5 lines
regarding directory pointer info as far as I can tell. I looked in the rest
of the files but didnt see any relevant info.

Are the preferences supposed to be stored in the
"%home%\.gconfd\saved_state" file or is there another file which was never
created? Can someone point me to what a full preferences file should contain
(either an actual file or a reference guide) so I can make one myself?

Thanks in advance for any help.