noob questions - drowning here

FireFly fireflys_98 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 03:38:15 EDT 2011

--- On Sun, 6/26/11, not.a.ninja <not.a.ninja25 at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 - does anyone know of a good tutorial for beginner home
> users on a blog or
> something (I can't find one)

Unfortunately not, beyond the standard tutorial, which if I recall is worth running through and does teach you the basics

> 2 - how do you enter income?? I tried to enter it in my
> salary account, but
> I guess the double booking system didn't like that I wasn't
> sending it
> somewhere. If I enter salary in one of my asset accounts as
> comming from an
> income account, it seems to like that better, but I'm
> confused. Can someone
> say step by step where I enter my pay! I'll get it in the
> end.

Salary generally is just handled as a transaction with Income on one side, and an Asset account on the other side.

If you want full detail, you would also have Expenses:Taxes type accounts on the same side as assets

i.e.

Income:Salary $1500 (income side if looking at an income account)
Assets:My Bank $1000 (credit, or deposit)
Expenses:Taxes $500 (expense side of an expense account)

- James Duerr

E-mail: FireFlys_98 at yahoo.com