GNU Cash installation issue

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue Mar 1 07:04:12 EST 2011

On dinsdag 1 maart 2011, Leslie Radke wrote:
> Hi Geert,
>
> So it looks like we are back to an installation problem. I was able to run
> the commands you gave me below and it did print "/apps/gnucash".
>
> One thing to mention is that GnuCash was installed by default into the
> Program Files (x86) folder. Is that a problem?
>
> Ron

Hi Ron,

I don't know if installing in the Program Files (x86) causes problems. It
could.

I'm also not sure yet if it's an installation problem. The test I asked you to
run was just to check if gconfd can be contacted and apparently it can.

Are you willing to run some more tests ? It may help us better understand how
gnucash and gconf works on Windows 7 (64bit).

Try:
* start > run... > cmd.exe
* cd "C:\Program Files\GnuCash\bin"
* gconftool-2.exe --get-default-source
-> What does this output ?
* gconftool-2.exe -a /apps/gnucash/history
-> What does this output ?
* gconftool-2.exe --set --type string /apps/gnucash/history/file9 "Testvalue"
* gconftool-2.exe --get /apps/gnucash/history/file9
-> What does this output ?
* gconftool-2.exe --set --type string /apps/gnucash/history/file9 "Testvalue"
* gconftool-2.exe --unset /apps/gnucash/history/file9
(This one is to remove the test value again)
* gconftool-2.exe --get /apps/gnucash/history/file9
-> Is the testvalue gone ?

Thank you.

Geert