Automatic Transaction Matching

gnemas at gmail.com gnemas at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:46:50 EST 2011

On Mar 6, 2011 11:15pm, gnemas at gmail.com wrote:
> Did the update to version 2.4.2 (from 2.4.0) change something related to
> automatic transaction matching?

> My downloaded transactions used to almost always be pre-checked for
> clearing, but now hardly any are (they are all red instead of green).

> The score is always 5, whereas the auto-clear threshold cannot be made
> less than 6.

> Gregg

One thing that changed is that there are two new options on the "Online
Banking" tab in the Preferences dialog.

[X] "Enable skip transaction action"

[X] "Enable update match action"

These are checked by default. If I uncheck the first one, my score=5
transactions (exact amount, close but not exact date) are green and marked
for "clear" as they used to be.

If I understand this correctly, the "Enable skip transaction action" option
controls what happens to transactions in the "yellow" rating region (from 4
to 5 by default). If "enable skip transaction action" is left unchecked,
such transactions are marked for "clear" by default.

What I don't understand is why bother with this checkbox rather than just
allowing the auto-clear threshold to be lowered from 6 to 3.

Further, the tooltip for the second option "Enable update match action"
seems incorrect. It says it applies to transactions whose best match is
above the auto-clear threshold", but it seems to also affect transactions
in the yellow region provided the "Enable skip transaction action" option
is not checked.

I find these settings (and their descriptions) very confusing.

Gregg