How to set up hierarchy for accounts? What is better?

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Sat Mar 19 14:18:29 EDT 2011

I used 'superior' in the sense of superordinate, not "better."  I agree with your point about utility reporting-wise, but that is precisely why the investment account "owns" the IRA (a type of investment) rather than the other way around.  An investment account can be reconciled  in much the same way as a bank account.  But that would be virtually impossible if you structured your chart of accounts such that investment accounts were scattered under various investment types.