How to set up hierarchy for accounts? What is better?

John Layman john.layman at laymanandlayman.com
Sun Mar 20 11:05:15 EDT 2011

The account structure can still show you how much is in all savings
accounts, how much is in all checking accounts, and so on.  But each
individual bank account, investment account, etc. is a record-keeping entity
in its own right, so they need also to be an easily identifiable entity in
your own records. If you fracture them into pieces/parts, good luck when it
comes to reconciling your records to those of the institutions!  The example
given of a high-level  IRA umbrella is rather like saying, "I'd like to know
how much I spend using debit cards, so I'll define a Debit Card account,
Checks account and so forth.  As soon as you have more than one checking
account with a debit card, you've got a mish-mash.  This is not just some
matter of personal preference, it's a matter of structuring data so that it
actually resembles the entity it is tracking.

One question asked here was along the lines, "Can I still find out how much
total I have deposited in Bank-X?"  Obviously, no hierarchical structure
like a chart of accounts will ever allow you to group things in every
conceivable combination.  We have plenty of other tools at our disposal to
accomplish that purpose.

"Better implies that one method is superior to another"

Yes, but no one said otherwise. Superior, on the other hand, has more than
one meaning, last time I checked.  Perhaps you should try actually reading
messages before you reply to them?