New trading accounts for currencies - help in setting up

Gez suleika at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:09:37 EDT 2011

I have version 2.4.4 (on windows XP) and I want to set up trading accounts
between various currencies in which I earn and spend money.

I've used gnucash on and off for many years and have managed currencies in
the past by manually adjusting transactions and having dummy transfer
accounts.

I've read the tutorial at
http://www.mathstat.dal.ca/~selinger/accounting/tutorial.html and I believe
I understand how it's supposed to work, but I don't know how to use the
newly implemented trading accounts in gnucash.

I have enabled trading accounts in file/preferences, and have worked out how
to enable "Trading" under "Account Type" when creating a new account.  It
took me a while to realise it has to be a new top level account.

I was expecting the account to ask for two currencies since that was my
understanding of how it would work from the tutorial, but if I choose the
type "CURRENCY" it only requires one currency, as far as I can see.  Should
I be creating a new security using "template"?  I really don't know what I
should be entering in all those fields at all.

I thought I would start with just recreating the transactions between CAD
and USD in the tutorial to get the hang of it, but I don't know how to set
it up at all.  Any help and advice would be most gratefully received!

Gez