[Bulk] Re: new user of Gnucash - questions

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Sat Mar 26 01:49:52 EDT 2011

On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 22:30:49 -0700
John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> We're veering off into "not-Gnucash" land here, folks.. Gnucash very
> simply is not the appropriate program for a company that has outside
> auditors. There are no administrative controls, all users are equal
> and can change history at will, the CoA is highly mutable (a feature
> for our SOHO target user-base, a major failure for everyone else),
> there are no audit functions, the logging is minimal and not
> traceable to a particular user.
>
> Gnucash is for personal and (very) small businesses where there are
> only a couple of people with their fingers in the books, and where
> there are external means of making sure that nothing funny is going
> on (like the owner is the only one who can sign checks and has time
> to know what each one of them is for and to whom it's being paid). If
> that doesn't describe your operation, then you need a different
> program, and you're probably going to have to pay for it.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

On that general statement the main business of which i am part-owner
has two (paid-for) programs
one for the 200 - 300 financial transactions per day, receipting,
debtors etc. any of the reception staff use that program
the other handles our money as daily totals, our creditors and two or
at most three people have a password. That is the program with which the
accountant interacts - not the first one which all can use.

I use gnucash for handling my income and expenditure separate from
those programs again.