Gnucash ERROR: Unbound variable: slib:features

crashdamage tmeador at kc.rr.com
Sun Mar 27 16:38:59 EDT 2011

Please, any help is appreciated. Gnucash is an absolutely must have app.
Running CentOS 5.5.  I've used gnucash for about 10 years with no problems
'til now. I was doing routine system updates and these 3 gnucash-related
packages failed to update due to dependencies:
gwenhywfar
libofx
perl-Finace-Quotes
But something happened. Now gnucash just flashes for an instant and fails
with: ERROR: Unbound variable: slib:features

To fix it I've tried:
# rpm -e --nodeps gnucash slib guile
# yum install gnucash

This installed everything ok - almost...partial resulting output:

Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Installing : slib 1/3
Installing : guile 2/3
ERROR: Unbound variable: slib:features
Installing : gnucash 3/3
Installed:
gnucash.i386 0:2.2.9-5.el5
Dependency Installed:
guile.i386 5:1.8.0-8.20060831cvs slib.noarch 0:3b2-1.el5.rf

You can see there was 'ERROR: Unbound variable: slib:features' during guile
installation, but it completed installing. To try and correct that I did:
# rpm -e --nodeps slib guile
# yum install gnucash
Everything re-installed, but guile produced the same error.

Since this all started with the 3 failed package updates, I thought it might
be worth trying this:
# rpm -e --nodeps gwenhywfar libofx
# rpm -e --nodeps gnucash slib guile
# yum install gnucash
Same result, everything re-installed, but guile produced the same error.

So, guile is not happy, Gnucash still won't load and I'm past my limited
ability to figure this one out with head-scratching and Google.

-----
Linux user #266531. CentOS 5.5