Frequent Crash and inability to restart

Joseph Smith jsmithlivermore at pacbell.net
Mon May 16 17:19:39 EDT 2011

I've transferred my personal finance data set to GnuCash and am tweaking
to get to a valid state.

I have had a few crashes and get the following message on restart:
"GnuCash could not obtain the lock for file:///Users/etc." (etc. being
the remainder of the chain name on my computer.)

I have previously fixed the problem by creating a new file.  This
entails abandoning the work since the last build.

So,

   1. How does one restore from the most recent save (autosave every 2
      minutes)?
   2. How do I get to the help function without starting the creation of
      a new file?

"How does one avoid the crash?" is not as big an issue as is gracefully
recovering - creating the file from scratch is not graceful.

On the surface, this appears to be a problem that is likely common
enough that it should have been fixed already.

I clicked on the button |<gnucash-user at gnucash.org
<mailto:gnucash-user at gnucash.org>> expecting to get to a discussion
group, but got this email page.

Sincerely,