Past Due Bills

Bill hb.cog.jil at gmail.com
Fri May 20 11:11:25 EDT 2011

On 05/20/2011 10:42 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> Am Dienstag, 17. Mai 2011 um 03:45:22 schrieb Bill:
>> Hello. I have bills which are several months past due. I want them in
>> check register to remind me to pay them when I get the money.
>
> This would be a really strange use of the checking register. You should put
> them somewhere in liabilities.
>
> The simplest way might be to use the business module:
> Business->New Vendor ...
> Business->New Bill ...
>
>> That is, I
>> want to keep them below the blue line, preserving the due date. If I
>> have made myself clear, is there a way to do what I want.
>
> Your reminder would be Reports->Business->Payable Aging
> Check http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/chapter_bus_ap.html for details.
>
> Regards
> Frank

Hi Frank,

Actually, I'm helping a friend who has a small business get his business
and household in order, and I had no idea when I agreed to help what I
was getting into. Two checking accounts, personal and business bills
past due, etc. His is a seasonal business with a good accounts
receivable, so he's having a cash flow problem at the moment. Point is,
I agree that keeping track of past due bills in the check register is at
best strange, and at worst a potential book balancing nightmare. So I
got into using liability accounts, and eventually into accounts payable.
One thing's for sure: I'm getting an education! The main thing he needed
was a means of keeping track of things (personal and business) so he'll
know what he's got, how much is due to whom and when.

Thanks for your time, and I'll be checking out your recommendation as to
a reminder through Reports.

Bill