Can I Input An Opening Balance After The Account Is Created?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu Nov 3 05:38:33 EDT 2011

On Thursday 03 Nov 2011 05:11:51 GreenLED wrote:
> I spent a good 20-30 minutes carefully making all my accounts and I was
> going to go back and add all the opening balances afterwards. To my
> surprise (and horror), the tab has vanished! I guess this is because
> you're starting off with a balance and then it does not allow you to
> change it. How can I remedy this? Do I have to recreate every single
> account all over again? I don't want to create an "Opening Balance"
> account because I don't want it to show up on the reports the program
> makes, or is this standard practice?

Hi,

All that the Opening balance bit when setting up a new account does is to add
a transaction to the Equity:Opening Balances account - you are free to make
such transactions manually at any time.

Money always has to "come from somewhere" in gnucash (and double-entry
accounting in general), hence the Equity account, which you can hide from
reports.  I'd also suggest that you put the opening balance transactions in at
at date which you can consider to be earlier than your first "real" data in
GC, then you can filter by date range and exclude the opening balance txns
easily.

HTH,
Maf.