Posting invoices and currency conversion dialog - bug?

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Nov 8 10:07:02 EST 2011

Hi List,

Since using GC 2.4.x, I've been slightly annoyed by a couple of dialogs that
sometimes come up when posting new invoices - the the 2 attached screengrabs
show the dialogs in question.  As far as I can tell, there is only one
currency used in the data file, the prefs. all use Locale (GB).  I'm using
SuSE 11.4, but I don't suppose that it is relevant.

I initially thought that it was to do with the account file being created in
2.2.9 and ported forwards into 2.4, given some of the visible changes in terms
of duplicating invoices and auto-fill/memorising of lines that make the whole
process of entinging invoices so much more pleasant these days.... in other
words, I thought that it might just go away in time as the base invoices were
"updated".

However, while entering a batch of invoices today, I saw the light.
It has been my custom to put in lines on the invoices as "notes only" with no
quantity or price info  (I presently generate invoices in LibreOffice, but
have dilligently typed in the notes lines as invoice lines, with a view to
(one day, perhaps) using the MySQL backend to auto-generate a PDF or
somthing.)

Anyway, these lines in the GC invoice don't have an entry in the "Invoice
Account" column, and that gives rise to the currency conversion dialog, I
suppose GC is trying to convert  an assumed price of 0.00GBP to
0.00UNDEFINED_CURRENCY and asking for an exchange rate?

I've done some experiments with putting in a transfer account to a notes line,
and that stops the questions being asked. - GC doesn't need quantity or price
data, just an "other account".

Is this a GC bug, ie there shouldn't be a conversion at all to a non-existant
account - or is this another example where my useage is buggy?
2.2.x didn't do this - but it didn't do other useful stuff, either!

I've just been dissmissing the dialogs (the invoices seem to post OK) - am I
likely to be storing up trouble for some time in the future?

TIA for your words of wisdom
Maf.