Price fetch problems

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Tue Nov 8 13:50:02 EST 2011

[GnuCash 2.4.8 on WinXP-SP2.]

I have about 25 securities for which I was trying to track prices using
the "Get Quotes" function of the Price Editor. As they are all London
quoted I use Yahoo Europe as the quote source.

Some months ago this stopped working. When you click the button it pops
up a Perl process window, which stays completely blank for a moment and
then goes away - at least it does when it's working. What I found was
that it would appear and just sit there forever. Task manager shows that
the process is using no CPU time, which suggests it's waiting for
something that won't happen.

Experiments (turning the get-quotes flags on and off) indicated that any
six quotes can be fetched but adding a seventh causes the hang. (I
obviously haven't tried all the possible combinations, but ...). Oddly, I
can successfully add a seventh provided it's a nonexistent one (I have a
few old entries for companies that have been de-listed), but adding one
more nonexistent one brings the problem back. This suggests to me that
the problem may lie in interpreting the results rather than presenting
the request.

Does anyone else recognise this problem? Can anyone suggest how I can get
some useful diagnostic info?

I can no longer remember whether the problem came with a new version of
GnuCash, or not.