Canadian Mutual Fund Quotes

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 13 18:07:13 EST 2011

On Nov 12, 2011, at 9:47 AM, Ralph Bloch wrote:

> I have problems getting automatic quotes for Canadian Mutual Funds (in fact,
> I can't get them!). All other stock etc. quotes function fine.
>

> Take RBF266, a Canadian Dividend fund from the Royal Bank of Canada. I gave
> Fund Library Canada as source, type "Funds", Ticker RBF266 and CUSIP etc. as
> 13322. No luck. I have also tried Finance Canada without success. Any
> suggestions?
>

> Papaworx
>
> Dundas, canada

What version of Finance Quote do you have? Version 1.17 works for me if I put 13322 in the Symbol/Abbreviation field, using Fund Library, CA for the source. None of the other fields matter (though I'm pretty sure you'll have to give the security a name to keep gnucash happy).

"Works" means that I get a valid date with a valid quote. The quirk is that you'll get the second most recent quote. After Friday's close, you'll get Thursday's NAV and date until the Monday closing is posted, at which point you'll get Friday's NAV and date, etc.

There is a bug report, with a fixed version in the Finance Quote bug list. Unless you have to have the most recent quote, it probably isn't worth the trouble to try to update your copy of FQ. If you're interested:

https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Attachment/904264/469025/Cdnfundlibrary.pm

Dave
--
David Reiser