edit file.gnucash

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Oct 21 12:35:25 EDT 2011

Harold wrote:

>I was wanting to edit the gnucash data file that I have in Mint Debian to make sure that it didn't have the year 1969 that causes a problem in Windows XP.

Just FYI --- it wouldn't be 1969 that you would be looking for! (when
getting an invalid date error for that funny date).

That's simply the start point for computer time (time = 0) when the
date/time is stored as a single number from which date and time of day
within date computed from time elapsed since this zero point.

Seeing that funny date appear means:
a) Your program is using this method for date/time
b) No valid data was entered in the field (still zero)

So your editing would be looking for zero in the field.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

NOTE: That method of storing date/time OK for some purposed like "when
was transaction entered" (real time) since a date in 1969 before the
program even existed. But it's not OK for things like "what is the date
of this transaction" (if you were transcribing the books of an ongoing
business from paper to machine readable you have no such assurance).