Problems with GnuCash 2.4.7 - Snow Leopard and Lion

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Sep 2 10:44:56 EDT 2011

On Sep 2, 2011, at 1:13 AM, prl wrote:

> On 2/09/11 15:54, angrest wrote:
>>
>> Still unclear: why was the startup-code unable to replace the symlink? I was asked for authentication anyway, so parts of the code should have run under sufficient privileges.

> Linux (any Unix, really) won't allow you to create a symlink if a symlink (or any type of file, really) of that name already exists. No matter what privileges you have. You have to remove the symlink (or file) first.
>
> Eg, in a shell script do something like:
> [ -L symlinkName -o -e symlinkName ] && rm symlinkName
> ln -s symlinkTarget symlinkName
>
> Really a bit of a bug in the start-up code.

This ain't Linux, it's FreeBSD, but you're right about the behavior of ln.  The script attempts to move the old symlink out of the way if it points somewhere else. Mv will happily replace a symlink, but won't replace a hard link, so somehow Axel's Gnucash-2.4.Save link wasn't symbolic. That appears to me to be what broke.

Regards,
John Ralls