Hello everyone, and a question on entering transactions

Don Quixote de la Mancha quixote at dulcineatech.com
Tue Sep 27 16:35:19 EDT 2011

> On Tue, September 27, 2011 4:15 pm, Ron Hudson wrote:
>> I am thinking of using GnuCash in this practice instead of quickbooks.

Maybe QuickBooks is different now, but the QuickBooks 99 I used to use
for my business, as well as the Quicken I used for my personal books,
did not do double-entry accounting.

One could assign a "category" or some such to a transaction, but the
rules of double-entry were not enforced.

These days I mostly consider GnuCash's double-entry a convenience in
that I can look at all the money I'm spending or earning in a
particular account, but double-entry was originally developed for
pencil-and-paper by-hand bookkeeping, as a form of error checking.

--
Don Quixote de la Mancha
quixote at dulcineatech.com

   Custom Software Development for the iPhone and Mac OS X
   http://www.dulcineatech.com/custom-software-development/