Account Codes

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Apr 13 05:15:08 EDT 2012

On Thu 12 April 12 08:11:56 Shokster wrote:

> I really do need a "unique_account_code" that I can match with papers filed
> in the drawer. Currently, by my paper based bookkeeping, I use a code that
> is composed of something like [Cabinet#_Drawer#_PositionBetween1&100#]
>
> I'm trying to port my paperbased bookkeeping system onto GNUCash and was
> hoping that there would be an option to input the same indexing scheme.

Hi Shokster,

Why not just name the leaf accounts within the GC chart of accounts using the
above system?  I can't see a reason why you can't have (for example)
Assets:Investments:1_3_20
Assets:Investments:3_1_15
and so on... but I don't use brokerage accounts etc so there may be something
that this would break.

You can put other text in the account's notes fields to be more "human
friendly"

You have a perfectly good, logical and working system for your paperwork, I
don't think that the GC GUID numbers are the way to go for a convenient human-
readable system.  (I always try to make GC reflect the real world, not bend
the world to fit GC!)

HTH,
Maf.