The role of users

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 18:54:21 EDT 2012

Ross--

Thanks for starting a new thread.

It is clear in that other thread that there are a lot of strong feelings.
There appear to be a number of major disconnections going on, and it is
really too bad to see.

As a longtime user of Gnucash and follower on the lists, I have seen this
issue in various forms crop up. Indeed, I have been in the middle of it at times, and I understand the difficulties that all parties are expressing. My
own sentiments tend to the end user side, since that is what I am, but I understand what the active developers have said about their difficulties and respect that.

Your points are valid. I especially liked your observations about Gnucash's complexity; I have run into this wall myself and been stymied. Unfortunately, I am not enough of a programmer to help out on that front. Eventually, though, I put my efforts into trying to improve the documentation.

Gnucash suffers from the fact that it *is* a complex piece of software, and that makes it difficult for new volunteers to join the developer class. Gnucash also seems to have a broad user base, as evidenced by the large number of open bugs that are entered in Bugzilla, as well as the number of uservoice requests outstanding. This combination is doubly troubling, as there are a lot of people finding problems, but not many working on fixing them.

If I could offer more than this, I would. I really think Gnucash is great software, and I wish I could figure out how to scratch my own Gnucash itches (like better reports).

David