importing data

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Aug 1 12:32:05 EDT 2012

tereque <tereque at gmail.com> writes:

> Having the whole 'business' section is a statement for meaning
> business' in my eyes. But what I read through the lines somehow is

It was designed and implimented purely for my personal needs as a
Consultant running my own business.  The fact that I tried to make it
more extensible so others can use it was icing on the cake, but honestly
I was just scratching my own itch.  I needed to keep track of my
business finances.

It was never designed for large companies.  At the time there was the
GnuE (Gnu Enterprise) initiative that was trying to take care of that.
I don't know if it's still around, but still, GnuCash has always been
(and probably will always be) a "Quicken/Quickbooks" replacement.  It
never has been, nor ever will be, a replacement for e.g. SAP.

If that's what you really want then I suggest you look elsewhere; you're
just not the target market.

>> Your other option is to look at additional software (like Excel, but
>> perhaps something better) for transaction entry which can then be
>> imported via e.g. QIF.
>
> can you explain a little how that would work? What would be the 'like
> Excel but better' software you refer to? How would I get to produce a
> QIF file out of Excel (or the unnamed 'but better' software)?

Well, for one there's Newgi's GSoC Android App!  I'm sure you can find
many other simple transaction entry apps around that will give you a QIF
of data that you can import into GnuCash.  But I still question your
motives.