Split transactions

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Sun Dec 9 12:59:33 EST 2012

On 8 December 2012 at 14:07, C. Andrews Lavarre said:

> Hi, I've noted a curiosity that I can't yet pin down:
>
> + Sometimes Alt-A,P opens a split transaction window
> + Sometimes Alt-A,P just opens the Actions dropdown menu
>
> It's the same in any account, so not account specific. I checked the
> preferences for Register settings and saw nothing to that effect.
> Googling sheds no light either.
>
> In either case, the Actions menu does *not *have an underlined *p *in
> "Split Transaction"

It does on my system (GnuCash 2.4.11 on WinXPPro-SP3).

If you are in any View other than "Basic Ledger" then "Split Transaction"
has no meaning and "Alt-A,P" will stop at opening the Actions menu
("Split Transaction" is not selectable).

Also if your Alt key is still down when striking P then it will be
ignored. This is nonstandard behaviour for Windows(*) and you could
perhaps be holding Alt down out of habit, or have an intermittently
sticky key. Of course, if you're not using Windows this wouldn't apply,
but people who fail to mention their OS and version often seem to be
Windows users.

(*) That is, Alt-A,Alt-P would behave the same as Alt-A,P in normal
native Windows programs. Well, up to and including XP; &deity only knows
what changes Microsoft have imposed with Win8.