Can GNU Cash keep track of expenses of multiple businesses?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Feb 1 08:09:07 EST 2012

>One GNUcash file, with three top-level accounts (one for each business).
>
>This would NOT be the recommended setup for business reasons, some would
>argue there is more transparency/independence in records in having three
>separate files.
>
>HOWEVER, there have been comments over the time though in the GNUcash
>forums where some people have favoured this way for multiple
>'businesses' (or e.g. three separate accounts for three individuals in a
>household) because they found the amount of 'internal' txns between said
>business units meant having them within one gnucash file was easier for
>them to enter/record txns, rather than having to record any 'transfer'
>as an expense from one then go and record that same amount as an income
>in the other.

This is really a matter outside the scope where we should advise. A
great deal depends on the legal forms of organization. No matter how
convenient, if these businesses are legally separate entities they
should have separate books. If it's just a matter of a single individual
with several dba's (no legal existence) then perhaps a matter of
preference/convenience.

SEEK ADVICE FROM YOUR BUSINESS/TAX LAW ADVISOR

Michael