QuickBooks to GnuCash

Dean Gibson gnucash at ultimeth.com
Sat Feb 18 17:16:43 EST 2012

Oh, no!  Not another "QuickBooks to GnuCash" thread !!!

Well, after trying the steps documented at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format#Export_Hacks_for_QuickBooks:_exporting_to_QIF
and obtaining http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php , I found the
latter wasn't really suitable for output from QuickBooks, so I wrote my
own converter using Linux's AWK program.

The Linux script is here: http://www.ultimeth.com/download/Tsv2Qif.sh --
it's about 50 lines of AWK commands and about 40 lines of "how-to".  The
"how-to" is displayed if you invoke the script without any parameters.

The only hard work is changing the account type for each account in
GnuCash after the import.  Since each fixed asset was a different QB
account, the reorganization took a while, but was otherwise trivial.

Suggestions / comments / improvements welcome !!!

-- Dean

ps:  I sure wish I'd found out about GnuCash years earlier.  I bought QB
2003 back then.  QB is a nice package, except for the proprietary DB
(your data for ANYTHING should NEVER be in a format you can't easily
export), and the fact that Intuit wants another $200 every three years,
just so you can continue to download bank transactions.  So, I was even
considering writing my own (in Java).  I wrote my own years ago in COBOL
and that was trivial, but the hard part these days is just the sheer
amount of work to design a reasonable GUI.

Now, Quicken is another story:  it's buggy and non-intuitive (no pun
intended), and has the same "every 3-year upgrade hook".  Fortunately,
that import into GnuCash went easily, and I am rid of that terrible
beast forever.  It might be different if Quicken was suitably integrated
with TurboTax, but amazingly, they are not.

Oh, and I don't miss the ads, either.