Mistaken exchange rates in the price editor

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 28 09:46:19 EST 2012

Hi,

gerdemb <gnucash at ibeni.net> writes:

> So, am I doing something wrong or is this just the way GnuCash works?
> Fundamentally, I don't understand why the exchange rates are even entered
> into the price editor as they can be derived from the underlying
> transactions. In my mind, the price editor should only be used for manually
> entering exchange rates. Thoughts?

This is just the way GnuCash works.  And it should only enter something
into the PriceDB if there isn't already an entry for that day.

It enters it into the PriceDB because some reports use the PriceDB for
sources instead of using the transaction data.  Some times it's
appropriate, other times it is not, but this lets the 'nearest in time'
quote source work correctly most of the time.

In your case, yes, you will need to adjust the entry in two places.