Transferring data between two Gnucash files

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 10 10:48:14 EST 2012

Hi,

Jesse C <crimson.corelio at gmail.com> writes:

> Hey Derek,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I can definitely make a QIF file (or an OFX file).  I've never used the QIF
> importer in Gnucash.  QIF (and also OFX) appear to be single-entry formats,
> rather than double-entry formats.  I assume that GnuCash does some guessing as
> to what balancing account a transaction belongs in based on the memo
> associated with the transaction?  Which would mean there really isn't a fully
> automated way to import the information, which would less than stellar, but
> still better than having to manually enter all the information.

Well, yes and no.  QIF does allow you to claim a transaction's far
account by specifying a Category (for income/expense) or Account (for
asset/liability) through the 'L' field:

LCategory
L[Account]

Then in the importer you can map the QIF Categories and QIF Accounts
into Gnucash Accounts.

> It also seems like (from the mailing list archive) that the OFX importer can
> match up transactions from different OFX files with the same date and amount.
> So I could technically generate OFX files for each account and once they are
> all imported, GnuCash will automatically match them up.  Is that correct?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  What do you mean by "matching
... from different OFX files"?

> Is there a preference in GnuCash for QIF vs OFX?  There appear to be java
> bindings in some form for both (and QIF is so simple that writing a generator
> for it would be trivial), so I can create either with minimal effort.

IMHO QIF is easier to generate, and QIF also has a way to create Split
transactions.  OFX AFAIK does not provide any means to specify a Split
Txn nor a way to pre-specify target categories or accounts.

> Once I get this working, I'll push out the results of my work to the
> community, in case there are other people who are interested in doing
> something similar.

That would be good.  :)

> cheers
>
> jesse