Balance Column Resizing - yet again

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Jan 10 15:03:25 EST 2012

On Jan 10, 2012, at 3:54 AM, Obviously an Idiot wrote:

> OK, so my user name reflects my confidence in my technical skills, but I have
> read the FAQ section on column resizing, as well as about 12 threads on here
> on this topic. However, none of them address my particular problem:
>
> I understand that the Description column expands to fill any unused space.
> I understand that by clicking on the right margin and dragging, I can adjust
> the width of any column.  However, that doesn't help me, because my problem
> is that the Balance column is too narrow for the figures I'm using (we're
> only talking 6 digits before the decimal, which used to work on the default
> setting but have somehow gotten smaller in the course of some resizing).
>
> Anyway, all the other columns are easily resized by grabbing the right
> margin and dragging.  Since the Balance column is at the far right, however,
> it won't let me do this.  I have tried everything I can think of, and
> nothing works.  Again, I can move any of the other column borders, but since
> the Balance is on the far right, the best I can seem to do is drag it a tiny
> bit, which oddly doesn't help, but rather just expands the Description tab
> instead and introduces a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom.  I tried
> moving the left side instead, but of course that just shrinks the column
> next to it.
>
> I can see that I'm not the first person to post this (and there are about 20
> threads on column width overall, which speaks to the unfortunate lack of
> intuitive structure to the system, IMHO), but the one other person who
> seemed to have my specific issue didn't have a reply.
>
> Please help!  Has anyone figured out how to change the column width of the
> far right column?

If you make sure that the whole Balance column is exposed (by having the window big enough or making sure the scrollbar at the bottom is all the way to the right) and hover your mouse on the right edge of the balance label (where the separator bar ought to be if it wasn't the right-most column), the cursor should change into a resize cursor (vertical bar with arrows pointing right and left). The sensitive area for this is quite small, so you might have to nudge the pointer around a bit to find it.

Once you do, click and drag to the right and you'll see the bottom scrollbar pull away from the right end. Release the mouse button and you now have a larger Balance column.

You can also double-click and the column will resize to accomodate the largest entry (which in some cases will make it smaller).

Regards,
John Ralls