Sharing GnuCash File

Maf King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Jan 14 18:35:01 EST 2012

On Saturday 14 Jan 2012 16:39:27 ANTHONY NELSON wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I know that XLM GnuCash is not engineered to be a multiuser system.  Even
> so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how two people might
> best share a single GnuCash file.
>
> I am thinking of placing the file in a dropbox folder and then working out
> some sort of procedure to prevent us from stepping on each other's work.
> Perhaps when modifications are made the person modifying takes the file
> out of the dropbox until modifications are complete and then places the
> file back in, signaling that the file is again available for the other
> person to use?
>
> Has anyone worked out a good system to get around the single-user nature of
> GnuCash?
>
> Regards,
> -- Tony (tonyn999 at me.com)

HI Tony,

I have a gnucash data file on a shared NFS server, which both my wife and I
can access.  GC already takes care of file locking, so that I get a warning
message about the file already being open on another computer, in the rare
case that we both try to edit at the same time.

If GC can be made to put the lock file into your dropbox along with the data
file, then I think that it should All Just Work for you.

HTH,
Maf.