track loan from my 401k

Robin Chattopadhyay robinraymn at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 17:13:21 EST 2012

Unfortunately, I don't think it's as simple as that.

Issuing a 401k loan is actually more like a distribution from a
participant's account. Maria notes -- correctly -- that the statement shows
a sale of the various funds in the account. It is the cash raised from
these sales that funds the money going into the checking account. You can't
then create a liability as a sub-account of the 401k because then you would
be double-counting the cash raised. From an accounting perspective, it's a
transfer from one Asset sub-account (401k) to another Asset sub-account
(checking)

Likewise, when the loan repayments are made, it's more like an additional
after-tax contribution to the 401k account. Both the "interest" and the
"principal" portions are invested according to the same allocation as the
payroll contributions are at the time the payment is made. But the interest
isn't really an expense because it becomes part of your account. It's a
credit to the WAGE INCOME account and a debit to the individual investment.

LOAN ISSUANCE:
Credit to 401(k) account --> $(1,000)
Debit to Checking --> $1,000

LOAN PAYMENT
Credit to Income --> $120
Debit to 401(k) (Principal Portion) --> $(100)
Debit to 401(k) (Interest Portion) --> $(20)

I think the best you can do withing GC is to note in the description field
in any transactions in the 401k account which portion is due to a
contribution, and which is due to principal/interest.

Robin