--add-price-quotes not working

Jonas Lippuner jonas at lippuner.ca
Tue Jul 3 23:41:44 EDT 2012

Hi there,

I've been using GnuCash for a while and I just created my own Perl
module to automatically fetch the current NAV of a mutual fund of mine.
Getting this quote as well as any other currency exchange rates works
very well when I use Tools > Price Editor > Get Quotes in GnuCash.

But since I don't want to have to click that button all the time, I wold
like GnuCash to execute the "Get Quotes" function automatically on startup.

I found that I could execute the command

gnucash --add-price-quotes "D:\path\to\my\gnucash\file"

When I execute this command, a console window appears showing that
perl.exe is being executed. However, the window disappears very quickly
and none of the prices seem to get updated. When I click on "Get Quotes"
in GnuCash, the same window appears, but it takes much longer until it
disappears again (after which the prices are all updated). So it seems
that the --add-price-quotes command line option does not work.

Furthermore, when I start GnuCash, the same window with perl.exe being
executed appears for about the same amount of time as when I use the
--add-price-quotes option. So it seems that GnuCash would actually
automatically update all the prices on startup (which is exactly what I
want), but it simply doesn't work. It only works when I manually click
on "Get Quotes"...

I'm using GnuCash 2.4.10 built form svn r22003 on 2012-02-11 on Windows
7 Professional (64 bit).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonas