Finance::Quote fails to update after Mountain Lion OS/X install

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Jul 30 11:19:06 EDT 2012

On Jul 30, 2012, at 7:23 AM, Steve Drach <drach at itsit.org> wrote:

> I looked up OSStatus error 100030, and it 's because it's a read only file system.  So I copied F::Q to my home directory and tired again.  This time it seemed to go further.  The dialog I get says "The variable gnc_fq_update is not defined."  It gives me an edit button and an ok button.  Ok doesn't do anything obvious.  Edit brings up an AppleScript editor with the code required to start F::Q update.  That is, this code:
>
> set appPath to path to me
> set gnc_fq_update to path to resource "gnc-fq-update" in bundle appPath
>
> tell application "Terminal"
> 	do script "sudo " & quoted form of POSIX path of gnc_fq_update
> end tell
>
> I suspect if I type in the correct paths in a terminal window and then start the update script, things will work.  Of course I don't know the correct paths, nor do I know AppleScript.

>>> Does your account have admin privs? F::Q Update needs "sudo".
>>
>> Yes, my account has admin privilege.  But the password dialog doesn't come up.  I opened terminal, cd'ed in the dmg and then tried "sudo open Finance::Quote" but this brings up an alert that tells me F::Q can't be opened because it is not signed by a known developer (new "feature" in Mountain Lion).  The work around is to right click the icon to open but, I don't know how to do that as sudo.  That is, I don't know how to operate the GUI interface as sudo.  Perhaps if I use sudo to open the dmg?  Nope, that didn't work either.

Read-only file system? Oh, I remember reading something about that last week. AppleScript now (on 10.8)  wants to write a compiled version of the script back into the bundle. It can't do that if the script is still on the dmg. Move it to the same directory as Gnucash.app and run it again with right-click or double-click. It asks for your password on the Terminal command line.

If you prefer, you can do the same thing from Terminal:
 sudo /Path/to/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc_fq_update.

Regards,
John Ralls