Entering Transactions in the Account Register

Colin Scott gnucash at double-bars.net
Fri Jun 8 08:51:00 EDT 2012

Does this sound familiar?

When entering a new transaction in either an account register or the general ledger, I make my entries in the trhansaction from left to right, top to bottom, using the tab key to move between fields.  So, to enter a new transaction, I position the cursor on the date field, and then

        enter date / TAB  (or tab through if the date is correct)
        enter Txn number / TAB
        enter Description / TAB
        (usually leave note blank) / TAB

At this point, the cursor should be on the split type field of the first transaction split, ready for data entry.  However, I very often find that instead the current but incomplete (because it has zero splits) transaction has completely disappeared, and I have to start entering it all over again.  The second time around, the Description field autocompletes as soon as I start typing with the correct information, and entry of the transaction splits then continues correctly.  When this behaviour first occurred it was very worrying, and I spent some time looking around to see where the incomplete transaction might have gone (it seems it just disappears into a black hole!). Now it is just a (significant!) irritation.

As a general comment, it seems to me that as soon as *any* change has been made to a blank transaction (ie, data has been entered into it!), that transaction should be locked as the active transaction, and it should then not be possible for it to disappear from the register unless the user explicitly selects CANCEL or DELETE TXN.

Because I use the Windows PortableApps version of gnucash, I am using 2.4.6, but it would be helpful to know if this bug is unique to my installation, unique to 2.4.6, or if it is still present in any later version(s).

Colin