Separate salary accounts?

Carson Chittom carson at wistly.net
Sat Jun 16 08:47:52 EDT 2012

Michael Henry <michael.k.henry at gmail.com> writes:

> Should I create a separate "salary" account for every employer? I currently
> have two salary accounts, one for my wife and one for myself, but I changed
> jobs a few months ago and it has just occurred to me that I should put
> payments from my new employer as coming from a separate account. The point
> of doing this is obviously to be able to track income from each employer,
> but the issue that arises is that the old employer salary account is
> defunct; it will never be used again and will clutter up my accounts.

Personally, since my wife and I file our taxes jointly, I don't bother
with seperating out salaries.  My wife has three employers and I have
one; all go in Income:Salary.  In the rare event (I think it's happened
once) that I need to know how much we're getting from each employer, I
just use a calculator.