new user

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 18 08:06:22 EDT 2012

On 6/18/2012 4:11 AM, Liz wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 06:54:39 +1000
> "Gordon" <surreysprings at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
>> 'Helpful Users'
>>
>> Due to inexperience with GNUCash, I have accumulated some duplicate
>> accounts tabs on the accounts tool bar. I have been unable to find a
>> method of deleting the duplicates in the help screens.
>>
>> I find the tags very useful but too many slow down the entry of data.
>>
>> Can you advise me please with a method of removing accounts tags
>> which I no longer require.
>>
>> Thank you in anticipation,
>>
>> Gordon McKauge.
If you wish to delete sub-accounts, look in the wiki Frequently asked
questions for the following:

      *Q:* Is there a way to merge two accounts into one?

That is, is there a way to move all transactions from one account into
another? That would save a lot of time compared to moving each transaction!

    *A:* Kind of. If you want all the transactions in one account to
    move/merge into another account, you can reparent the to-be-deleted
    account under to to-be-moved-into account, and then delete the
    to-be-deleted-account. GnuCash will ask you if you want to move the
    transactions, and you should answer "yes".

    *2nd A:* Probably no, you must manually change each transaction.
    However, there are some tricks that can make this process go a
    little faster. Open one of the account registers and select either
    /View?Style?Auto-Split Ledger/ (or /View?Style?Transaction
    Journal/). This will automatically expand all of the splits for the
    selected transaction. In the simplest case, each transaction will
    have two splits, one of them to the current account. You want to
    change the split assigned to the current account to be assigned to
    the other account instead. Double click on the account name in the
    split, which should select all of the text. Now instead of using the
    drop-down list to select the new account, simply type the new
    account name, using the built-in auto-completion. For example, to
    move a split to /Expenses:Auto:Repair/, you might type |ex:au:r|.
    When you then hit /<enter>/, the changes will be saved, and that
    transaction will disappear since it is no longer tied to the
    currently open account.

David C