Payables Aging and Receivables Aging reports

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jun 20 10:09:02 EDT 2012

Graham Stoddart-Stones <gstones at pacifera.com> writes:

> Derek:
>
> Interesting thought from you!   It never occurred to me to set up our A/R and
> A/P in any other way, and I must have missed any documentation that says that
> all A/R and A/P have to be in one account.  I find it hugely helpful to just
> be able to look at A/R and A/P and see immediately the state of every account
> - which is what happens with the sub-accounts that we have set up - and they
> do total very nicely into the parent accounts.  I presume that if I roll them
> all up into the parent account, then one can only see the state of each
> account by running the report (ie one extra step!)?
>
> It leads me to question why Options offers multiple choices of account
> selections for these reports, please? - ie there is a very helpful error
> message that pops up to instruct us to select the account on which to run the
> report, and the drop-down selection of choices includes all the sub-accounts
> in either A/R or A/P as appropriate - which suggests that the designers
> certainly had in mind the possibility of someone setting up sub-accounts
> (although admittedly, the system ignores the selection when one makes it!)

Because it *was* designed to have multiple accounts, because you can
only have one currency per account.  So if you invoice in multiple
currencies you *Need* multiple A/R accounts.  That's why the pull down,
to let you choose among them.

There's a difference between multiple accounts per currency and multiple
accounts per customer!!!  The whole point of the invoicing system was
so that you don't NEED an account per customer.  You could just use the
existing infrastructure if you wanted to do that.

Unfortunately, moving stuff around is going to be hard because of the
business metadata.  You would need to unpost every invoice, delete every
payment, and then re-post them to the right places.

> Looking forward to your thoughts

Umm, start over at your next fiscal year?