GnuCash to Quickbooks

Bob Talor philologos at mindspring.com
Mon Mar 5 11:34:58 EST 2012

Tim Pedersen wrote: "I know that the topic comes up and many of us have accountants that want our files in Quickbook format."

I have often been faced with this problem in various situation.  IIF is not equivalent to QIF.  Unless Intuit has made some drastic changes in the last few years, there is no way to import transactions into Quickbooks.

The sort of thing I have done is this:  Create a QIF file.  Create a quicken file from the QIF.  Then convert the Quicken file to Quickbooks.  You might have to spend some time cleaning up the quicken file, but the conversion to QB usually works without too many problems.

The problem here is that GC doesn't export to QIF (why is that actually?), but I gather from some of the discussions here that there are workarounds for that.

Back early in this century, QB released a programmer interface and a SDK.  I played around with it a little.  It really didn't do anything but import and export XML files but it should be useful for converting to QB.

Intuit however, does not want to make these things convenient.  They want you to buy a new copy of QB ever year and force your accountant to do likewise so he can access your file.  Quicken and QB are actually not that bad.  The deserve a better owner.

Regards, Bob Taylor